- About ILMSA
- ILMSA FAQ
- Discussion Forum (USMS)
- Be a Member
Central Masters Swimming Association, the former name of ILMSA, initiated a new award in 2005 with the goal of recognizing ILMSA coaches who are building our membership in our local communities through their contributions in coaching Masters swimmers.
The award was premised on honoring the best of the ILMSA coaches, recognizing our most valuable resource in Club development and overall Masters swimming participation. The sacrifices that many coaches make behind the scenes often go unnoticed by the majority of swimmers in their clubs and workout groups. While it may take time and effort to sustain pool time, club and workout group membership, meet preparations and coaching on deck, there are some coaches who go well beyond what their team requires. These coaches have an impact on the coaches and swimmers around them. These coaches are involved in all aspects of what USMS has to offer and give of themselves to see that their love of swimming reaches the widest audience possible. Consequently ILMSA is committed to honoring this “coach of Coaches.”
The award is given to that ILMSA Masters swimming coach of either a club or a workout group who best embodies the passion, dedication, and heart that coaches bring to the pool deck. It is with the efforts of individuals like these that ILMSA will most certainly move to a greater level.
Each year one ILMSA coach is designated the Coach of the Year award winner, from the nominations received by the ILMSA Board of Directors. Only the first three nominations received for a person nominated will be considered.
Any swimmer registered for the current year with USMS/ILMSA may make a nomination.
To make a nomination, submit a one-page letter addressed to Chair, ILMSA Awards & Recognition, citing the reasons why the person deserves recognition and the award for the current year.
• The name, club and team affiliation, address, telephone number, e-mail address for the person nominating (who is registered for the current year with USMS/ILMSA);
• The name, club and team affiliation, address, telephone number, e-mail address for the person being nominated (who is registered for the current year with USMS/ILMSA);
• Whether the person being nominated is registered with USMS as a coach;
• Whether the person being nominated has USMS coaches certification, and the level, if known; • What coaching service or services were performed, and the period for which they were performed;
• The impact of the coaching service or services to new programs or to improving ongoing programs;
• The scope of the coaching services including the effect on members who have benefitted.
Submit nominations electronically by April 1st of the current year to: awards AT ilmsa DOT com.
A past recipient may be nominated, based upon a current year’s coaching service.
Past recipients of the Coach of the Year Award are:
2014: Bill Cordero of Galter Swedish Fish
2013: Christopher Barret Politan of Chicago Smelts
2012: Adriana Schack of COHO/NASA
2011: Steve Roesseler of Lyons
2010: Nadine Day of Danville
2009: Chris Colburn of Academy Bullets
2008: Ellen Tobler of Grey Sharks
2007: Paul Moniak of Chicago Masters
2006: Corinne Grotenhuis of Elgin Blue Waves
2005: Brent Newcomb